I was reading an excerpt from James White on “Under-protective Parent” and wrote down a few observations that I thought would be a good guide as it relates to parenting today’s culture.
Basically there are three keys to parenting in a society that’s’ “ALWAYS ON”…
1. Being Informed
2. Be Involved
3. Be In Charge
If not careful these things can get watered down or even lost between theory and practice. Many times parents feel that the number one goal of parenting is for their child to like them. It’s not!! The goal is to lovingly and consistently parent them. Liking has little to do with it. The truth is that there is much that goes with loving parenting that they will most certainly not agree with or even like.
Here are ten rules every parent should have with their kids regarding our media crazed society. See if you think popularity will come with any of them:
1. Limit their phone minutes, texts, and online hours. Don’t let it take over their life.
2. Don’t ever let them see a movie you haven’t reviewed thoroughly on the front-end, regardless of its rating.
3. Don’t let them sleep with their cell phone under their pillow or by their bed. The phone should be turned off at bedtime.
4. Have times of the day they have to turn their phone off and times when texting isn’t allowed – such as family vacations or family outings.
5. Don’t allow cell phones at the dinner table.
6. Tell your kids not to share their passwords with their friends, not even their best friends.
7. Keep all computer use in a public area.
8. Don’t allow TV’s in their room.
9. Don’t let them be on Face book unless they friend you as a parent.
10. Don’t let them join any social media prior to the stated age.
Many times the most important truths can be stated the most simply: parenting isn’t meant to be a popularity contest. It’s meant to be a child-rearing one. Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Our job as parents is to TRAIN not be POPULAR!
“The Under-protective Parent,” James White